This new program is to help eligible Veterans with or without families who have recently become homeless or are unstably housed access housing and then help them address the issues that led to their homelessness by connecting them with services and benefits they may need including VA benefits (see below).
This is the first time a program like this has been offered in our area specifically for our Veterans.
Eligible persons are:
Must be honorably discharged Veteran (either individual Veteran or Veteran and family) in any of the 12 Northeast LA parishes with at least 2 years of service
Must lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence (such as staying with family or friends) OR Living in an area not designed for sleeping/living accommodations such as on the streets, abandoned buildings, or cars
Must have the ability to remain stably housed after 6 to 9 months of service and assistance
- Rental assistance while participating in the program
- Assistance with move in, utility arrearages and deposits, and furniture
- Intensive case management
- Community referrals
- Assistance with benefits
- Life skills classes to include money management, nutrition, healthy relationships, basics of being a good tenant, and parenting if needed
- Requires daily contact with the case manager
- Access to counselor on staff
HOW TO GET HELP OR MORE INFORMATION: Contact The Wellspring Housing and Supportive Services Office at (318) 807-6200 or visit 718 Jackson Street, Monroe LA 71202.