Bill Grover Hammett, 70, died at the Joseph M. Still burn center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Georgia.
Adams County Sheriff's Office officials say the house fire happened early Wednesday morning. Officials say Hammett was standing outside the house when crews made contact with him.
Officials say the family was able to put the fire out before crews arrived. Hammett told deputies that he had fallen asleep while smoking a cigarette, which caught his bedding on fire. Officials say this statement was confirmed by fire investigators.
Hammett was airlifted to the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, then airlifted to the burn center in Georgia that same day for more treatment of his burns.