Captain Barry Teague with the West Monroe Police Department recommends women attend the self-defense courses taught by the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu School of West Monroe, and offers the following protective tips:
1. Always be aware of your surroundings.
2. Invest time and energy into training. Have several self-defense moves on hand at all times, and practice them frequently.
3. Run away if you can remove yourself from dangerous situations, but try not to put yourself in those situations in the first place.
4. Command a would-be attacker to "Stop!"
5. If you want to invest in a protective tool, Captain Teague recommends a civilian taser.